Editor’s note: This article was updated Wednesday afternoon to include the identities of the victims.
Speaking at a Wednesday morning press conference at City Hall, Lebanon Police Chief Bret Fisher said four males were victims of a Tuesday night shooting outside 444 N. 5th St. on the city’s north side. Three are dead, and one is hospitalized.
Read More: City police investigate triple homicide
The three fatally shot victims were identified by the city as Joshua Lugo-Perez, 19, Jesus Perez-Salome, 8, and Sebastian Perez-Salome, 9, all of Lebanon.
The injured victim was identified as Luis Cancel, 33, of Lebanon.
Fisher said the shooting did not appear to be random. “It appears, at the early stages of this investigation, that one of the victims was targeted. The other three victims were uninvolved.”
He added that “some” of the victims were related.
A GoFundMe has been setup to help fund the transportation of Jesus and Sebastian’s bodies back to their hometown of Villalba, Puerto Rico.
As of 4:35 p.m. on May 31, no suspects had been named, and no motive had been suggested by city authorities.
The 8 and 9-year-old shooting victims were students in the Lebanon School District. Lebanon Mayor Sherry Capello said the school district had been notified.
Yellow crime scene tape cordoned off the front and back of the duplex building at 442-444 N. 9th St. at 7:15 a.m. on Wednesday morning. Otherwise, there were no visible signs of violence or anything out of the ordinary.
Search warrant executed, “person of interest” arrested on “unrelated matter”
As he spoke from a podium at City Hall, Fisher said that “currently, the Lebanon County SWAT team is executing a search warrant on N. 9th St. During the service of this search warrant, a person of interest [in the shooting] has been taken into custody on an unrelated matter.”
Social media video posted earlier Wednesday morning showed a SWAT team restraining a handcuffed male, who appeared to be in his 20s. It could not be confirmed that the person shown was the person of interest Fisher referred to.
Fisher did not say whether there were any other persons of interest or suspects, but when asked whether only one person had been taken into custody, he replied “at this time, yes.”
Fisher would not comment further on the number of people investigators may be looking for.
The Lebanon Daily News streamed the press conference on Facebook and it is has been embedded below.
Questions about this story? Suggestions for a future LebTown article? Reach our newsroom using this contact form and we’ll do our best to get back to you.
Do you want to see more from LebTown?
Support local news. Cancel anytime.
Already a member? Login here
Free news isn’t cheap. If you value the journalism LebTown provides to the community, then help us make it sustainable by becoming a champion of local news. You can unlock additional coverage for the community by supporting our work with a one-time contribution, or joining as a monthly or annual member. You can cancel anytime.