Longtime Fairgoers will know that the popular Talent Show competition typically takes place on Friday night in the Pavilion, going head-to-head with the Tough Trucks event at the Track and the 4-H and FFA Livestock Sale in North Hall.
That scheduling stack up was making it difficult for the Fair’s youth livestock exhibitors to compete in the contest where some serious premium cash is on the line – a $5 entry fee can turn into $75 for the first place in each age division! To accommodate those exhibitors, the Fair’s Entertainment Committee moved the contest to Monday night.
“We have some really talented kids in our livestock program who have been wanting to compete in the Talent Show but just couldn’t make it work between selling their livestock projects on Friday night,” said Russ Wolfe, Entertainment Committee co-chair. “It wasn’t fair to these kids to have to choose between the culmination of your lamb, steer, or pig project and showing off your talent. We listened to their request and hope that they will be able to participate this year.”
The Talent Show has been the proving grounds for quite a few local musicians. Main Stage performer the Jess Zimmerman Band is headlined by Jessica Zimmerman, who won the Fair’s Talent Show years before making her stage debut. The band now performs across the East Coast, including Florida, South Carolina, New Jersey, and numerous stops across Pennsylvania.
After winning their respective divisions in the Fair Talent Show, performers Crystal Bomgardner and Addie Grace will both be making their official debut at the Fair on the Pavilion stage this year.
The Talent Show includes vocal and non-vocal categories in three age brackets: Youth 12 & Under, Youth 13-19, and Adults. Pre-registration is required and an entry form is available on the Fair’s website.
Talent Show Rules
- This contest is open to any amateurs from the greater Lebanon Area.
- Contestants will present a 3-5 minute performance exhibiting their talent.
- Contestants must supply their own CD of the song or music to be performed when applicable. All types of music will be acceptable with the following restrictions: all music and lyrics to be used are at the discretion of the contest committee and judges. No profanity or inappropriate actions or dress will be permitted. If acts are deemed inappropriate, performance will be terminated.
- Contestants may only enter one class. (Either vocal or non-vocal, cannot enter both.)
- Judging criteria will be based on chosen talent and may include: music ability, choreography, costuming, originality and creativity, stage presentation, effectiveness and overall presentation. The decision of the judges is final.
- $5.00 entry fees must be submitted with application. Entries will be accepted until age groups are filled. Entry forms available in Fair Office or at www.lebanonareafair.com.
- The Talent Show is Monday, July 25. Report at 6:00 p.m. Show starts at 6:30 p.m.
- The talent show will begin with the youngest groups and go by age. Awards will be named after each group.
1st Place – $75.00
2nd Place – $50.00
3rd Place – $25.00
- Entry Fee: $5.00