The countywide burn ban has been lifted, effective immediately, Lebanon County officials announced Monday, June 26.
“Due to significant shifts in weather conditions resulting in both a current and forecasted continued low risk of wildfires, the Lebanon County Commissioners have lifted the temporary burn ban effective immediately,” said Bob Dowd, director of Lebanon County’s Department of Emergency Services, in a press release.
The burn ban had been in effect since June 8, and would have expired on July 8, if it hadn’t been lifted today.
Dowd took the opportunity to remind the public that even though the burn ban has been lifted, steps should still be taken to ensure that outdoor fires are safe and controlled.
Dowd provided the following tips:
- Never leave a fire unattended.
- If you must use fireworks, make sure you do so in a responsible manner.
- Keep other combustible materials far away from outdoor fires. FEMA recommends a 25-foot safety zone around the fire.
- Aways be aware of embers or sparks leaving the fire.
- Keep a close eye on the daily wildfire danger maps and adjust your outdoor fire-related activities accordingly. Maps can be found at DCNR’s website.
- Make sure you know the local laws governing outdoor burning, including municipal-level ordinances.
The burn ban had been put in effect due to severe dry conditions and a higher potential for wildfires. Although the United States Geological Survey does not have a precipitation tracking site in Lebanon County, its site in Harrisburg has registered more than an inch of precipitation in the last week, as did sites in Berks County.
Questions about this story? Suggestions for a future LebTown article? Reach our newsroom using this contact form and we’ll do our best to get back to you.
Do you want to see more from LebTown?
Support local news. Cancel anytime.
Already a member? Login here
Free news isn’t cheap. If you value the journalism LebTown provides to the community, then help us make it sustainable by becoming a champion of local news. You can unlock additional coverage for the community by supporting our work with a one-time contribution, or joining as a monthly or annual member. You can cancel anytime.