This article was funded by LebTown donors as part of our Civic Impact Reporting Project.
The North Annville Township Board of Supervisors heard updates regarding the Union Water Works and Bellegrove fire companies on Monday.
The Union Water Works Fire Company was recently awarded a $25,000 Local Share Assessment grant. Board secretary and treasurer Adam D. Wolfe applied for the grant on behalf of the fire company in March 2022.
The grant was issued by the Pennsylvania Commonwealth Financing Authority, and Union Water Works intends to use the money to purchase fire hoses, fire hose washers and dryers.
Representatives from the North Annville Township Emergency Services Advisory Committee provided an update on the merger between Union Water Works and Bellegrove fire companies. Both fire companies have formed merger committees, which will meet monthly regarding the logistics of the plan.
Following the merger of the fire companies, the North Annville supervisors will move forward with the fire real estate tax that was discussed at the board meeting in August.
Originally proposed in January 2020, the 3 mill tax would generate $600,000 in revenue to go towards firefighting equipment for the merged fire company. However, the supervisors require proof of the merger before continuing with the tax.
“We really need to see some progress and we’d like to see something in writing,” board president Randy Leisure said.
The supervisors also discussed the following issues:
- The traffic study conducted on the intersection of Clear Spring Road and Route 934 is complete. The board of supervisors will meet to review the full traffic study report, including the cost analysis of improvements, this Thursday, after which the report will be posted on the North Annville Township website.
Read More: Roundabout plan for Route 934 & Clear Spring Road under review by PennDOT
- Cleona Borough Police Officer Amy Sheaffer reported that there were 64 calls for service in North Annville Township in August. Sheaffer also stated that two traffic details were completed, which resulted in 25 total traffic citations. Sheaffer said that the addition of a license plate reader to one of the Cleona Borough Police Department vehicles would be discussed at the Cleona Borough Council meeting on Monday.
- Township solicitor Paul Bametzreider intends to present a review of the proposed gun range plans to the board of supervisors next month.
- A motion to approve the August meeting minutes was unanimously approved.
- A motion to approve the August treasurer’s report was unanimously approved.
- A motion to review and pay the township bills was unanimously approved.
The Board of Supervisors of North Annville Township meets at 7:30 p.m. on the second Monday of each month. Meetings are held in the Union Water Works Social Hall at 2875 Waterworks Way and are open to the public. Next month’s meeting will be held on Monday, Oct. 9.
Editor’s note: An earlier version of this article mistakenly said “$3 million” tax when it should have been “3 mill.” We sincerely regret the error.
Questions about this story? Suggestions for a future LebTown article? Reach our newsroom using this contact form and we’ll do our best to get back to you.
Do you want to see more from LebTown?
Support local news. Cancel anytime.
Already a member? Login here
Free news isn’t cheap. If you value the journalism LebTown provides to the community, then help us make it sustainable by becoming a champion of local news. You can unlock additional coverage for the community by supporting our work with a one-time contribution, or joining as a monthly or annual member. You can cancel anytime.