Investigation concludes county computers weren’t actually compromised

1 min read949 views and 225 shares Posted September 5, 2019

Lebanon County’s computer systems are planned to be brought back online starting today, with business as usual expected by the end of the day Friday.

Lebanon County Administrator Jamie Wolgemuth shared the “all clear” news with LebTown this afternoon.

Advertisement

“Our systems worked as they should,” said Wolgemuth of the incident, which saw county computer systems mostly offline from last Friday through today.

Read More: Lebanon County computer systems remain mostly offline

Advertisement

Wolgemuth said that the county’s threat detection system noticed some anomalies in network traffic last week that appeared to be a serious malware.

Out of an “abundance of caution” the county isolated its network from the Internet, with the state additionally disconnecting from the county’s servers. According to Wolgemuth, the county also imposed some additional protocols regarding which data could be transmitted while the investigation got underway.

Advertisement

With the support of vendors only identified as “high-powered help from the outside,” a complete investigation of the county’s network was conducted. Wolgemuth said that the investigation found no malware attack and no breach of data whatsoever.

Wolgemuth said that shutting down the network out of an abundance of caution was a “huge disruption” but noted that there was too much of a risk to respond any other way.

Advertisement

Update 9/6: If you attempted to contact a City of Lebanon department over the last week and have not received a response, the city has requested that you reach out again, as some voice mail messages were lost while systems were brought back online.

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More Stories