Will you support independent, non-partisan journalism?
Become a champion of local news and unlock additional benefits as a LebTown member, like exclusive members-only emails, access to comments, invitations to members-only events, and more.
Make an impact. Cancel anytime.
Already a member? Login here
Northern Lebanon High School was one of 16 schools in the state recognized this year by the National Athletics Trainers Association for its exemplary efforts to keep student-athletes healthy and safe.
The school was named a Safe Sports School 1st Team for a three-year period, valid until January 2026.
The high school’s head athletic trainer, Jeremy Stevens, said that as far as he knows, it was Northern Lebanon’s first time applying for the recognition.
“I decided to apply because the health and safety of student-athletes are a top priority here at NL,” said Stevens. “This award demonstrates the care we provide to the NL community as well as our opponents when they play here.”
To receive the award, schools were assessed on the following criteria:
- Create a positive athletic health care administrative system
- Provide or coordinate per-participation physical examinations
- Promote safe and appropriate practice and competition facilities
- Plan for selection, fit function and proper maintenance of athletic equipment
- Provide a permanent, appropriately equipped area to evaluate and treat injured athletes
- Develop injury and illness prevention strategies, including protocols for environmental conditions
- Provide or facilitate injury intervention
- Create and rehearse venue-specific Emergency Action Plan
- Provide or facilitate psychological consultation and nutritional counseling/education
- Be sure athletes and parents are educated of the potential benefits and risks in sports as well as their responsibilities
Stevens said he was grateful to school administration for their support.
“This award reflects the hard work of so many that help to make NL a 1st Team Safe Sports School,” said Stevens.
The other schools to receive the recognition this year were:
- East Penn School District
- Shady Side Academy
- Panther Valley Junior Senior High School
- Moniteau High School
- Conestoga High School
- Souderton Area High School
- Bala Cynwyd Middle School
- J. P. McCaskey High School
- Radnor High School
- Pennridge High School
- Welsh Valley Middle School
- Pleasant Valley School District
- Elizabethtown Area High School
- East Stroudsburg High School South
- Palmerton Area High School
Questions about this story? Suggestions for a future LebTown article? Reach our newsroom using this contact form and we’ll do our best to get back to you.
Do you want to see more from LebTown?
Support local news. Cancel anytime.
Already a member? Login here
Free news isn’t cheap. If you value the journalism LebTown provides to the community, then help us make it sustainable by becoming a champion of local news. You can unlock additional coverage for the community by supporting our work with a one-time contribution, or joining as a monthly or annual member. You can cancel anytime.