On Friday, Sept. 10, the Lebanon County Suicide Prevention Task Force is asking members of the local community to light a candle in the window for World Suicide Prevention Day.
September is Suicide Prevention Month and this week (Sept. 5 through Sept. 11) is recognized as National Suicide Prevention Week.
“Suicide Prevention Month is a time to remember those affected by suicide, provide education, encourage self-awareness and focus efforts on helping those in crisis,” a Task Force press release explains. “It is a way to make an effort to talk about suicide, eliminate the stigma and start conversations.”
Community members are also asked to show their support throughout the month by lighting their porches with purple lightbulbs.
The Suicide Prevention Task Force offers resources for people concerned about their friends and family, people who have lost someone to suicide, and people who are struggling with suicidal ideation.
They are hosting a variety of events, both in-person and remotely, throughout the month, viewable here (PDF), to provide resources to the community.
Suicide Prevention Task Force Suicide Prevention Month event calendar
- Wednesday, Sept. 8 from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.: Mental Health First Aid—Adult Course
- Friday, Sept. 10 at 8 p.m.: Light a Candle
- Tuesday, Sept. 14 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.: QPR Suicide Prevention Training
- Thursday, Sept. 16 from 1 to 4 p.m.: Orientation to Wellness Recovery Action Plan: An Evidence-Based Practice for Mental Health Recovery
- Wednesday, Sept. 22 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.: Youth Suicide Awareness Conference
- Thursday, Sept. 23 from 6 to 7:30 p.m.: Remembrance Ceremony
For more information, visit the task force’s website.
Questions about this story? Suggestions for a future LebTown article? Reach our newsroom using the contact form below and we’ll do our best to get back to you.
Do you support local news?
If you believe that Lebanon County needs independent, high-quality journalism, consider joining LebTown as a member. Your support will go directly towards stories like this and you will be helping ensure that our community has a reliable news source for years to come.
Learn more about membership and join now here.